Founded in 1998, Digital Cyclone® has established itself as a leader in providing personalized weather intelligence for wireless devices. In January of 2007, Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN) acquired provider Digital Cyclone Inc. in an effort to broaden the LBS product offerings and expands capability in the area of wireless application development, marketing, and distribution. DCI has been an early mover in the emerging location based services market offering weather solutions for consumers, outdoor enthusiasts, and pilots on a subscription based model that are delivered to customers in partnership with top national wireless carriers as well as regional carriers. The company is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota and operates as an independent subsidiary of Garmin Ltd.
- President - Craig Burfeind
- Craig Burfeind, a veteran software developer, has led Digital Cyclone from initial start-up to becoming the market leading provider of premium wireless weather content it is today. A commercial, instrument rated pilot, Craig Burfeind lead the design and development of Pilot My-CastSM by combining his background in meteorology and technology with his passion for flying. Craig Burfeind was the lead design architect for software that revolutionized broadcast television with patented 3-D weather presentations during the 1990s at EarthWatch Communications. Craig Burfeind received his bachelor's degree in meteorology and computer science from Purdue University, and a master's in meteorology from the University of Wisconsin.
- Vice President Peter Resch - Research and Development
- Peter Resch manages the day-to-day development projects for Pilot My-Cast, My-Cast and Weather Scout for Digital Cyclone. Before joining the Digital Cyclone team, Peter Resch served as the Project Lead for the "Cine" line of film recorders at Management Graphics, Inc. The film recorders were widely used in production houses in Hollywood. While at EarthWatch Communications, Peter Resch managed project teams addressing complex interface challenges for domestic and international clients, as well as optimizing video production on Silicon Graphics workstations. Peter Resch has a bachelor's degree in physics from the University of Minnesota.
- Vice President Jan Mackenzie - Business Development
- Jan Mackenzie leads the new business development and marketing efforts at Digital Cyclone as the primary interface to strategic partners and wireless mobile phones carriers. She was previously the General Manager of Sterling Weather, LLC, the developer and marketer of the WeatherMation pilot briefing system to state aviation departments and FBOs. Jan Mackenzie was responsible for the development and implementation of the marketing and sales strategy for EarthWatch Communications, innovators of 3D weather graphics for the television broadcast industry. Jan Mackenzie holds a bachelor's degree in marketing from Augsburg College.
- Vice President David Larson - Information Services
- David Larson leads the development of the server-side hardware and software infrastructure of Digital Cyclone's products and supporting information. Prior to joining Digital Cyclone in 1999, David Larson developed enterprise level disaster recovery software as a Principal Software Engineer for StorageTek, an industry leading provider of innovative storage solutions. David Larson has nearly 20 years of professional experience in software development at both startup and fortune 500 companies. David Larson holds a bachelor's degree in computer science from Gustavus Adolphus College.